This photograph shows the entrance area at the Great World Amusement Park in the 1950s, cluttered with make-shift stalls of street hawkers. Looming overhead is the Globe Theatre, one of the four cinemas in the Great World Amusement Park: Sky, Globe, Atlantic and Canton. Owned by Shaw Brothers, the theatre was closed in 1964. The Amusement Park is located at Kim Seng Road. Photograph donated by Peh Heng Huat and displayed at Heritage Roadshow 2007. Date of creation estimated. Title devised by Library staff.
This picture shows Anderson Bridge with the Fullerton Building in the background. Photograph donated by Peh Heng Huat and displayed at Heritage Roadshow 2007....
This is a photograph of the entrance of Great World Amusement Park, located at Kim Seng Road. It closed in 1964. It was also known as Tua Sei Kai in Hokkien. Presently, this site is occupied by Great World City Shopping Centre. Photograph donated by Chung Shui Ken and displayed...
This picture shows the Alhambra Theatre located at Beach Road in the 1960s. A vintage car is seen parked outside the theatre, and a trishaw and cyclist are seen riding leisurely along the street. The Alhambra was opened in 1930, and it was the first air-conditioned theatre in Singapore. Photograph...
This picture shows a busy traffic junction at Kallang Road in the vicinity of the Kallang Gasworks in the 1950s. Seen in the background is an advertisement display board that reads 'Carlsberg'. Another display on the wall of a building reads 'De Witt's Antacid Powder'. Photograph donated by Peh Heng...
This picture is an aerial view of the Singapore River showing Boat Quay in the 1960s. It is located in the central region of Singapore, and lots of bumboats used to dock there. Seen too in the picture are old shophouses which lined the quay. Photograph donated by Peh Heng...
This photograph shows an arch presented by the Muslim community erected at the Esplanade as a street decoration to celebrate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953. There is a crown on top of the arch. Photograph donated by Peh Heng Huat and displayed at Heritage Roadshow 2007....
This photograph shows a close-up view of the buildings at Collyer Quay. A signboard in the picture indicates that the Asia Insurance Building is under construction. A British flag mounted on a pole at the apex of a nearby colonial-style building, together with other decorations in the photo, indicate that...
Shown in this picture taken in the 1950s is a general view of the Central Fire Station at Hill Street, which was opened in 1909. It is the oldest fire station in Singapore. Seen too on the main thoroughfare outside the station are cyclists, trishaws, motor vehicles as well as...
This photograph shows a general view of Lau Pa Sat (Telok Ayer Market or "Old Market"), located in the heart of the Central business district. Built in 1894, it is now a national monument and the largest Victorian filigree cast-iron structure in Southeast Asia. It evolved and changed with the...
This photograph shows the Majestic Theatre, built in 1927. It is located between People's Park Complex and Yue Hwa Department Store on Eu Tong Sen Street in Chinatown. It was a Cantonese opera house built by Eu Tong Sen, a tin mining and rubber magnate, for his wife who was...