This photograph shows a general view of Lau Pa Sat (Telok Ayer Market or "Old Market"), located in the heart of the Central business district. Built in 1894, it is now a national monument and the largest Victorian filigree cast-iron structure in Southeast Asia. It evolved and changed with the city centre from a fish market in the 1820s to a food and entertainment complex by 1989. Photograph donated by Peh Heng Huat and displayed at Heritage Roadshow 2007. Date of creation estimated. Title devised by Library staff.
This picture shows Anderson Bridge with the Fullerton Building in the background. Photograph donated by Peh Heng Huat and displayed at Heritage Roadshow 2007....
Photograph depicting Telok Ayer Market (a.k.a. Lau Pa Sat or "Old Market"). Located at Raffles Quay, it evolved from a wet market in 1820s to a food and entertainment complex by 1989. Its trademark octagonal design was set as early as the 1820s when the first concrete structures of the...
This picture shows a busy traffic junction at Kallang Road in the vicinity of the Kallang Gasworks in the 1950s. Seen in the background is an advertisement display board that reads 'Carlsberg'. Another display on the wall of a building reads 'De Witt's Antacid Powder'. Photograph donated by Peh Heng...
This picture is an aerial view of the Singapore River showing Boat Quay in the 1960s. It is located in the central region of Singapore, and lots of bumboats used to dock there. Seen too in the picture are old shophouses which lined the quay. Photograph donated by Peh Heng...
This picture shows the Alhambra Theatre located at Beach Road in the 1960s. A vintage car is seen parked outside the theatre, and a trishaw and cyclist are seen riding leisurely along the street. The Alhambra was opened in 1930, and it was the first air-conditioned theatre in Singapore. Photograph...
This photograph shows an arch presented by the Muslim community erected at the Esplanade as a street decoration to celebrate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953. There is a crown on top of the arch. Photograph donated by Peh Heng Huat and displayed at Heritage Roadshow 2007....
This is a photograph of the former Telok Ayer Market, or Lau Pa Sat, which was gazetted as a national monument on 28 June 1973....
This photograph shows the Asia Insurance Building, also known as the A. I. Building on the left. It is located at 2 Finlayson Green and was officially opened on 10 December 1955. It has 18 floors and is 87 m. tall, one of the tallest buildings in Southeast Asia when...
Shown in this picture taken in the 1950s is a general view of the Central Fire Station at Hill Street, which was opened in 1909. It is the oldest fire station in Singapore. Seen too on the main thoroughfare outside the station are cyclists, trishaws, motor vehicles as well as...