This 1890 photograph has the handwritten words "No. 22 7052 Lee 1/387. The S'pore volunteer constabulary Drill Hall backs of Post Office & Club & Johnston's Pier. Before the present reclamation of rd was made. 2/520. Drill Hall built 1890. Re-erected on present site 1906. XX11 16. No 3" on the back. This photograph shows Johnston's Pier and the Exchange Building which was built in 1870 on the site of Fort Fullerton. (Caption source : Toh, p32, 34 / Tyers, p98, 102).
This photograph from G.R. Lambert & Co. shows a view of the General Post Office and the Exchange building probably taken in 1880s. There is a handwritten note, "Post Office & Singapore Club" above the photograph. The first building on the right is the Exchange building. Completed in 1879, its...
This 1879 photograph shows a view of Johnston’s Pier and the Exchange building (at Fullerton Square). Johnston’s Pier was named after Alexander Laurie Johnston, one of the earliest European settlers in Singapore and a friend of Sir Stamford Raffles. ...
This 1993 photograph shows the General Post Office at Fullerton Square (from Battery Road). Besides being the General Post Office, Fullerton Building (built in 1928), also housed other government offices including the Inland Revenue Department and the Singapore Chamber of Commerce. Fullerton Building is today known as Fullerton Hotel, and...
This [1978] photograph shows a sidewalk along Beach Road (Singapore Volunteer Corps Drill Hall is on the left). The road mentioned is near the North Bridge Road area....
This 1978 photograph depicts the Singapore Volunteer Corps drill hall (dated 1931), located at Beach Road. Beach Road is one of the first roads developed in Singapore, and used to front the coast before land reclamation in the area. The road mentioned is near Bras Basah Road. Title devised by...
Exterior view of the hotel from the Singapore river. It is of neoclassical design with intricatedly designed pillars and plaster works. Formerly known as the Fullerton building it used to house the General Post Office and several government departments. ...
This 1860 photograph from G.R. Lambert & Co. shows Johnston's Pier shortly after completion, from a balcony on Collyer Quay. Built in 1855, Johnston's Pier was named after Alexander Johnston, a doyen of the European mercantile community who founded the firm A.C. Johnston & Co. Gharries, or horse-drawn carriages, could...
A [1978] photograph showing Beach Road, as seen from Seah Street towards Bras Basah Road (Singapore Volunteer Corps Headquarters on the left). The roads mentioned are near the North Bridge Road area....
This is a photograph of a couple seating on a bench along Elizabeth Walk. Elizabeth Walk was previously known as Esplanade Park and opened in 1953. In the background is the Fullerton Building, officially opened in 1928, now the Fullerton Hotel. It used to house the General Post Office and...